11.6.06

A Note from Sarah

On Saturday we had the day off from class. The weather in Amsterdam was beautiful. Some of the class decided to take advantage of the weather and head to Brussels; what they did not know was that the train ride would take 3 hours. Even though they did not have a ton of time to look around, their spirits were not defeated; they returned with plenty of energy for the evening. Although Brussels sounded seraphic, I felt the need to stay in Amsterdam and have a normal day.

I first went to do some laundry at the Wash Cycle. I began talking to the owner who was from Pakistan. Since I had done my issue paper on the recent Muslim immigration in the Netherlands, I thought I would ask him how welcome he felt as a Muslim in Amsterdam. He reported that he felt very welcome in the city. He said that he knew a lot of Dutch people are wary of Muslim people, but that it doesn't show in their actions. Overall, washing my clothes was quite enlightening.

After that I spent the evening watching soccer at a native Dutch residence; they were a bunch of college students at the University of Amsterdam. It was wonderful because I felt like I was at home. Turns out that we are all quite similar. Saturday was bittersweet; it was the last real day here in Amsterdam. But I am looking forward to changes I will implement into my life from this trip when I get home. Asalam Alaikum!!!

No comments: