11.6.06

A Note from Azure

It's difficult to fathom that our trip is coming to a close. Although some people seem anxious to go, I really think I could spend years here just trying to see everything. It is such a completely different culture, and I feel like because some things were so easily accessible we didn't fully appreciate what we have seen and done. Our trip today, for instance, was to Brussels, Belgium. It was unbelievably easy to jump on a train and enter a completely different country. Belgium is beautiful in every way. The people were friendly, the sidewalks clean, and the architecture was amazing. Oh, did I forget to mention how beautiful the beer was...?

Mary, Hallie, Morgan, Tim and I enjoyed our, albeit quick, adventure in Belgium more than I would have imagined. We were able to see a HUGE Turkish music festival in the middle of a gorgeous square, something I could never see anywhere in the Twin Cities I am sure. One of the main differences I noticed between Amsterdam and Brussels was the begging; in Amsterdam we really have only seen a few people asking for money and most were performing. In Belgium we saw women with children draped across their laps weeping, an image that is all too familiar in many other countries. I'll have to investigate why this might be; the apparent lack of child poverty in Amsterdam that is, but it is certainly a different world in those regards than Belgium. On a lighter not, we also came upon the appropriately and hilariously titled Manneken Pis, which is a famous but tiny fountain in Brussels. I was expected something a little larger. If you click on the highlighted words "Manneken Pis," I think you will see what I mean. All and all it was a great day, the sun was shinning and the train was only sweltering hot on the way to Brussels; the ride back was pleasantly temperate, lucky for us and our chocolate. Yes Mom it's for you!

No comments: