5.6.06

A Note from Morgan

Since I did pretty much the same thing as I did yesterday save the tattoo convention, I shall write about yesterday. It was a beautiful day for the first time since we got here, so I went out to take pictures of scenery. I bought some muffins from a bakery that is open until, I swear, 2am; they were expensive but delicious. Not that anyone cares, but muffins here vary greatly in price. The first muffins I bought at an open air market were 80 cents a piece and were as equally delicious as the ones I bought yesterday that were 2 euro a muffin. Then today I passed another bakery that was selling 6 muffins for 3.50 euro. So I am very upset about my muffin rip off.

Later I decided to take a trip to the Amsterdam International Tattoo Convention, since it was the last day. The convention was laid out over two floors, and consisted of various booths representing various tattoo parlors and artists from all over the Netherlands and abroad. It was actually amazing; there were tattoo artists from all over the world: Japan, France, Germany, Hawaii, Thailand. They demonstrated different styles and techniques. There were also a lot of booths selling piercing supplies and jewelry, many hand made. Right away when you walked in, there was an area that you could leave your kids, although many people had their children with them (I even noticed some of the children had gauged piercings in their ears). As I said in my previous blog I have never been to a convention in the U.S., but I can imagine that one difference between a U.S. convention and an Amsterdam convention would be that while getting (or giving) a tattoo in the Netherlands, you can simultaneously smoke marijuana and drink a Corona.

Since the RAI Convention Center wasn't all that far from the hotel I decided to walk back. Things seemed to be going well until I realized I had been walking in the completely wrong direction for an hour and then got on the wrong tram. But it all ended well and I found my way back.

No comments: