5.6.06

A Note from Drake

Today was a national Dutch holiday called Whit Monday so we didn't have class. As far as I can tell the Dutch have upwards of 10,000 holidays a year. In fact last weekend was also a holiday weekend. I guess Europeans are really good at planning holidays. Last week the holiday was on a Thursday, so everyone in the EU got a four day weekend. Clever huh? For this basically meant that all the stores were closed except for really touristy places like souvenir shops. I thought I would take my day off and do the really ridiculous tourist things, so I went to the Amsterdam Sex Museum, as well as the Torture Museum. The sex museum was a ridiculous four story novelty that showcases how liberal the Netherlands is about sex. It featured different art, pictures, mannequins dressed as pimps and Marilyn Monroe. It was definitely worth the 3 euro I paid to get in. The torture museum was a major disappointment. I was alone, too, so it was really creepy. After doing the touristy museums, I decided I would try eating at the Burger King here. It was amazing. I finally found a place where the cheeseburgers don't taste like the "beef" (but actually sausage) patties you get in middle school. I was satisfied immensely.

This weekend was finally nice out as far as weather went, so for the rest of the day I just sat and read in a park just outside the Rijksmuseum. There is a small pool-like thing for children... and dogs to play in. I know I'm going home and back to work full time so I won't have many opportunities to just sit and read. It was a nice end to a long weekend.

P.S. My undies are still clean.

No comments: