12.6.06

A Note from Drake

Today, Sunday, was, sadly, the last full day of our trip. The weather treated us to a sweltering 31C. After waking up in a pool of my own sweat caused by having no windows that stay open while I sleep, I went with about half the class to a bar on the other end of Amsterdam. One of the guys who works at the front desk of our hotel recommended it because he works there, too. So we went to this bar to watch the Netherlands play against Serbia-Montenegro in day 3 of the World Cup. We were so fortunate to be here in Europe during the World Cup. I don't think there is anything that these people take more seriously than soccer (aka football). The entire bar was filled with orange, and everyone would scream every time the Netherlands took a shot at the goal. It was quite an experience. I have never witnessed a crowd like this so into a sport in America. I mean I guess sometimes people cheer at a football team but I've never seen a crowd that identified so much with their team. The whole bar, full of strangers, was singing cheering and screaming together as one. It was a lot of fun.

After the game we went back to the hotel, I finished packing, and then the class went to our farewell dinner at a really fancy restaurant. Now with my belly full of beef, I write my last blog for the trip. I've had a blast and learned many things about this culture that is completely the opposite of mine.

I'll finish by typing the funniest thing that I've heard on this trip. It was said by Tim at a Chinese place we went to get food at the other night. "Everyone else's food looks so good... I'm eating balls."

No comments: